Chocolate Oat Picnic Bars
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Wedderspoon Manuka Honey
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 8 oz dark chocolate, chopped into chunks (about 1 1/2 cups worth)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish or line with foil or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, add the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, Manuka Honey, baking soda, salt, melted coconut oil, eggs and vanilla and beat until combined and the dough holds together (the dough will seem oily, but this is good).
- Mix in about 1 cup of the dark chocolate chunks.
Turn half the batter out into the prepared pan, pushing the dough into the pan.
- Sprinkle on the remaining dark chocolate chunks and then place the remaining half of the dough over the layer of chunks. Some of the chocolate chunks will likely be sticking out–this is fine. Do not worry about it looking perfect.
- If desired, add more chocolate chunks to the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, but do not over-bake.
- Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.