Now that we’ve officially said goodbye to summer we’ve set our sights on fall. As we turn the corner and see crisp days replace the heat, we want our food choices to reflect the changing mood and season. September brings the return of school and routine, which sometimes leaves us wishing we were back in the carefree days of summer! With the intention of providing you with some morning sweetness and a reason switch off the snooze button, we’ve concocted a new recipe for Blueberry Cream French Toast Rollups with Manuka Honey. Healthy enough to feed your whole family but decadent enough to make mornings feel special, these reimagined French toast rollups will have your whole household appreciating the cooler weather.
1/4 cup (40 g) blueberries
3 tb (45 mL) fat free cream cheese
1 tb (15 mL) manuka honey
1/2 (7.5 mL) tablespoon coconut oil
1 egg + 1 egg white
1 oz (30 mL) milk ( we used cashew milk )
1/4 tsp (1.5 mL) vanilla
- Place bread on wax paper, fold wax paper over bread and use a rolling pin to flatten. Works best with the crust cut off.
- In a small bowl, microwave cream cheese and blueberries for 10-15 sec and mix together.
- Place mixture along the width of each slice of bread.
- In a separate bowl mix egg, egg white, milk and vanilla.
- Roll up bread from the bottom and soak in egg wash.
- Heat a pan within non-stick spray or coconut oil.
- Place each roll up in the pan with the end of the roll face down, securing the roll as it cooks. Allow to cook on each side.
- Spread a thin layer of coconut oil or coconut spray on each and roll in the stevia and cinnamon mix.
- Serve with Manuka honey on top and enjoy!